There is no one definitive “cure” for viral fever as it is caused by a viral infection, and viruses cannot be treated with antibiotics. However, there are ways to manage the symptoms of viral fever and support the body’s immune system in fighting off the infection.
Some ways to help alleviate the symptoms of viral fever include:
- Rest: Getting plenty of rest and taking time off from work or school can help your body recover more quickly.
- Stay hydrated: Drink plenty of fluids like water, juices, or broths to avoid dehydration.
- Take over-the-counter fever reducers: Medications such as acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) can help reduce fever and alleviate other symptoms such as headache or body aches.
- Use a cool compress: A cool compress, such as a damp washcloth or a cool bath, can help reduce fever and provide relief from symptoms.
- Avoid exposure to others: Viral fever is highly contagious, so it’s important to avoid close contact with others until you are no longer contagious.
It’s also important to consult with a healthcare professional if your fever is very high, persistent, or accompanied by severe symptoms. They may be able to prescribe antiviral medications to help your body fight the infection more effectively.