If you have a fever, there are several things you can do to reduce it at home:
- Take a fever-reducing medication such as acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil or Motrin). Follow the recommended dosage on the label.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids such as water, juice, or sports drinks. This will help prevent dehydration, which can worsen fever symptoms.
- Take a lukewarm bath or use a damp washcloth to cool down your body. Avoid using cold water or ice, which can cause shivering and raise your body temperature.
- Get plenty of rest and avoid strenuous activity until your fever goes down.
- Wear lightweight, breathable clothing and keep your room cool and well-ventilated.
- Consider using a fan or air conditioning to help lower your body temperature.
If your fever persists or is accompanied by other symptoms such as severe headache, chest pain, or difficulty breathing, seek medical attention immediately.