When you have a cough, it is important to avoid certain foods that may irritate your throat or worsen your symptoms. Here are some foods to avoid:
- Dairy products: Dairy products such as milk, cheese, and ice cream can increase mucus production, which can make coughs worse.
- Fried or greasy foods: These foods can be difficult to digest and may irritate your throat.
- Citrus fruits: Acidic fruits like oranges and lemons can irritate your throat and worsen coughs.
- Spicy foods: Spicy foods can irritate the throat and make coughs worse.
- Carbonated drinks: Carbonated drinks can irritate the throat and make coughs worse.
- Alcohol: Alcohol can dehydrate the body and make coughs worse.
- Chocolate: Chocolate contains theobromine, which can worsen coughs.
Instead, it is recommended to eat a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean protein, and healthy fats. Drink plenty of fluids, especially warm liquids such as tea or soup, to help soothe your throat.