When you have a cold, it’s best to avoid fruits that can exacerbate cold symptoms or irritate your throat. Here are some fruits you may want to avoid or limit when you have a cold:
- Citrus fruits: Citrus fruits like oranges, grapefruits, lemons, and limes can be too acidic and irritate your throat.
- Pineapple: Pineapple contains an enzyme called bromelain that can cause inflammation and irritation in the mouth and throat.
- Mango: Mangoes can aggravate a runny nose and worsen coughs.
- Kiwi: Kiwis are high in vitamin C, but they can also cause a prickly sensation in the throat that can be uncomfortable when you have a cold.
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes are acidic and can irritate the throat, especially if you’re already experiencing inflammation.
- Papaya: Papaya contains papain, an enzyme that can irritate the throat and make coughs worse.
It’s important to stay hydrated when you have a cold, so try to focus on eating fruits that are easy to digest and won’t irritate your throat, such as bananas, apples, pears, and melons.