When you have a common cold, it’s important to stay hydrated and eat foods that can help boost your immune system and provide your body with the nutrients it needs to fight off the infection. Here are some suggestions:
- Chicken soup: This classic comfort food has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties and may help alleviate symptoms of the common cold.
- Hot tea with honey: Hot tea can help soothe a sore throat, and honey has antimicrobial and antioxidant properties that can help fight off the infection.
- Garlic: Garlic contains compounds that can help boost the immune system and fight off viruses and bacteria. You can add garlic to soups, stews, and other dishes for added flavor and health benefits.
- Citrus fruits: Citrus fruits like oranges, lemons, and grapefruits are high in vitamin C, which can help boost the immune system and shorten the duration of a cold.
- Yogurt: Yogurt contains probiotics, which are beneficial bacteria that can help support the immune system and improve gut health.
- Ginger: Ginger has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties and may help alleviate symptoms of a cold, such as coughing and congestion. You can add ginger to tea or soups, or use it to flavor dishes.
Remember to also drink plenty of fluids, such as water and herbal tea, and avoid foods that can worsen your symptoms, such as dairy products and fried or spicy foods.