Flu symptoms are caused by the influenza virus, and while there is no cure for the flu, there are treatments that can help alleviate the symptoms and shorten the duration of illness. Some treatments that can help kill flu symptoms include:
- Antiviral medications: These are prescription drugs that can help shorten the duration of the flu by one to two days and may also help reduce the severity of symptoms. However, they are most effective when taken within 48 hours of the onset of symptoms.
- Over-the-counter (OTC) medications: Pain relievers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen can help relieve fever, body aches, and headache. Decongestants can help with nasal congestion, and cough suppressants can help alleviate coughing.
- Fluids: Drinking plenty of fluids, such as water, juice, and soup, can help prevent dehydration and loosen mucus in the throat and lungs.
- Rest: Getting plenty of rest can help the body fight off the virus and alleviate symptoms.
- Home remedies: Some people find relief from flu symptoms by using home remedies such as hot tea with honey, gargling salt water, or using a humidifier to help relieve congestion.
It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before taking any medications or starting any new treatments for the flu.