While there is no specific food that can guarantee to calm nerves, there are several types of food that have been associated with reducing anxiety and promoting relaxation. Here are some examples:
- Complex carbohydrates: Carbs can help increase the production of serotonin, which is a neurotransmitter that can improve mood and promote relaxation. Examples of complex carbs include whole-grain bread, brown rice, quinoa, and sweet potatoes.
- Omega-3 fatty acids: Omega-3s have been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties, which can help reduce anxiety. Foods high in omega-3s include fatty fish (like salmon and tuna), chia seeds, flaxseeds, and walnuts.
- Probiotics: Probiotics are healthy bacteria that can promote a healthy gut microbiome, which has been linked to improved mental health. Examples of probiotic-rich foods include yogurt, kefir, kimchi, and sauerkraut.
- Herbal teas: Certain teas, such as chamomile, lavender, and valerian root, have natural calming properties that can promote relaxation and reduce anxiety.
- Dark chocolate: Dark chocolate contains antioxidants and flavonoids that can help reduce stress hormones and promote relaxation. However, it should be consumed in moderation as it also contains caffeine and sugar.
It’s important to note that while these foods may help promote relaxation and reduce anxiety, they should not be used as a substitute for professional help if you are struggling with mental health issues.