There are many ways to calm down anxiety, and what works best can depend on the individual. Here are five strategies that may be helpful:
- Deep breathing: Taking deep breaths can help to slow down your heart rate and relax your muscles. Focus on breathing in through your nose for a count of four, holding for a count of seven, and exhaling through your mouth for a count of eight.
- Mindfulness meditation: Practicing mindfulness meditation can help you to be present in the moment and reduce feelings of anxiety. You can try sitting quietly and focusing on your breath, or listening to a guided meditation.
- Exercise: Engaging in physical activity can help to release tension and boost your mood. Even a short walk or a few minutes of stretching can be beneficial.
- Progressive muscle relaxation: This technique involves tensing and relaxing different muscle groups in your body, one at a time. By focusing on your body and its sensations, you can help to calm your mind.
- Talking to someone: Sometimes, simply talking to someone can help to ease feelings of anxiety. You might consider talking to a friend or family member, or seeking support from a mental health professional.