Anxiety can manifest in different ways, and there is no definitive checklist of symptoms that apply to everyone. However, here are some common signs and symptoms of anxiety:
- Excessive worry: If you find yourself worrying excessively about things that might happen, or if you have difficulty controlling your worries, this could be a sign of anxiety.
- Restlessness: Feeling restless or keyed up can be a sign of anxiety. This may include physical symptoms such as fidgeting or feeling on edge.
- Fatigue: Anxiety can be exhausting, and you may feel tired even when you haven’t done anything physically strenuous.
- Difficulty concentrating: Anxiety can make it hard to focus on tasks or to concentrate for long periods of time.
- Irritability: Anxiety can make you feel irritable, short-tempered, or easily frustrated.
- Muscle tension: Anxiety can cause muscle tension or tightness, which can lead to headaches, body aches, or other physical symptoms.
- Sleep problems: Anxiety can make it hard to fall asleep, stay asleep, or get restful sleep. You may wake up frequently during the night or have trouble falling asleep.
If you are experiencing some or all of these symptoms and they are affecting your daily life, it may be a good idea to speak with a mental health professional who can help you determine whether you have anxiety and what you can do to manage it.