If someone in your household has been diagnosed with scabies, it’s important to take steps to clean your home and prevent the spread of the mites. Here are some steps to follow:
- Wash all clothing, bedding, and towels in hot water and dry on high heat. This will kill any mites or eggs that may be present.
- Vacuum carpets, upholstery, and mattresses thoroughly. Pay special attention to areas where the infected person has been sitting or lying.
- Seal any items that can’t be washed or vacuumed in a plastic bag for several days. This will suffocate any mites that may be present.
- Clean hard surfaces, such as countertops and floors, with a disinfectant solution. This will kill any mites that may be present.
- Avoid sharing personal items, such as combs or brushes, until the infestation has been eradicated.
- Treat any pets in the home for mites, as they can also be carriers.
- Follow any additional instructions provided by your healthcare provider or public health department.
It’s important to note that scabies can be difficult to eliminate and may require multiple treatments. It’s important to follow all treatment instructions and continue to monitor for symptoms.