When you have a fever, it’s important to focus on staying hydrated and nourished. Here are some suggestions for foods to eat during a fever:
- Hydrating fluids: Drink plenty of fluids, such as water, herbal tea, broth, or electrolyte-rich drinks like sports drinks or coconut water, to prevent dehydration.
- Soups and broths: Chicken soup or bone broth can provide hydration and nourishment, as well as help alleviate symptoms of fever.
- Fruits and vegetables: Choose soft, easy-to-digest fruits and vegetables, such as bananas, applesauce, melons, pears, peaches, and cooked vegetables like carrots, sweet potatoes, or spinach.
- Protein-rich foods: Lean meats, fish, eggs, and plant-based sources of protein such as tofu or legumes can provide your body with the energy and nutrients it needs to fight off infection.
- Whole grains: Incorporate whole grains like brown rice, oatmeal, or whole-wheat bread to help keep you full and energized.
It’s also important to avoid foods that can make symptoms worse, such as alcohol, caffeine, spicy foods, and processed or fried foods. If you have a reduced appetite, try eating small, frequent meals throughout the day rather than large meals. And always consult with a medical professional if you have concerns about your fever or dietary needs.