Yeast is a type of fungus that is commonly used in baking and fermentation to help dough rise and create a variety of foods and beverages. While yeast is not typically considered a food in and of itself, there are several types of foods that are high in yeast or that contain yeast as an ingredient. Here are some examples:
- Baked goods: Bread, bagels, rolls, and other baked goods that use yeast as a leavening agent are high in yeast.
- Beer: Beer is made through the fermentation of yeast and is therefore high in yeast.
- Wine: Wine is also made through the fermentation of yeast and can contain high levels of yeast.
- Nutritional yeast: Nutritional yeast is a type of yeast that is used as a food supplement and is high in protein, vitamins, and minerals.
- Cheese: Some types of cheese, such as blue cheese and Roquefort, are made with mold cultures that contain yeast.
- Marmite and Vegemite: These spreads are made from yeast extract and are high in yeast.
It’s important to note that consuming too much yeast may not be healthy for some individuals, such as those with yeast allergies or sensitivities, as well as those with certain medical conditions.