What are the risks of permethrin?


Permethrin is a synthetic insecticide that is commonly used to treat and prevent a variety of insect infestations, including head lice, scabies, and mosquito-borne illnesses such as West Nile virus and Lyme disease. While permethrin is generally considered safe and effective when used as directed, it can cause side effects and pose risks in some circumstances. Some of the risks of permethrin include:

  1. Skin irritation: Permethrin can cause skin irritation, itching, redness, and swelling, especially if it is used improperly or for an extended period.
  2. Allergic reactions: Some people may be allergic to permethrin and can experience severe allergic reactions, including anaphylaxis.
  3. Neurotoxicity: Permethrin is a neurotoxin that can affect the nervous system, leading to symptoms such as dizziness, headache, tremors, seizures, and numbness.
  4. Environmental toxicity: Permethrin is highly toxic to aquatic life and can harm the environment if it is not used properly or disposed of correctly.
  5. Resistance: Repeated use of permethrin can lead to the development of insecticide resistance, making it less effective over time.

It is important to follow the instructions for permethrin use carefully and to seek medical advice if you experience any adverse effects.

Your feedback is important to us.